Saturday, February 12, 2011

Trip to the Sri Racha Tiger Zoo - NOT!

Yesterday Neung, Sang and I took a safari to the Sri Racha Tiger Zoo. I had paid both their offs the night before so they would be bright and shiny early the next morning but they said they were so excited about the trip that they had trouble sleeping. I wish I could look like this with a lack of sleep. As I have said before they are the most fun loving couple and fun to be with.





We rode our motorbikes up Sukumwit Highway to Sri Racha to the zoo. What a ripoff. We only saw one tiger. Actually we missed the sign for the Tiger Zoo and ended up at the Khao Keeow Open Zoo. Mai bhen rai. The mix-up became a standing joke for the day. I have not been to the Tiger Zoo so I can't compare but Khao Keeow was fabulous and well worth the Bt290 for three which is one third that charged at the Tiger Zoo.





It's situated on a huge piece of land in beautiful hilly terrain. We used our bikes to travel around the miriad of paved paths to view the animals in large open areas. There are also tour guided carts and bicycles you can use. The grounds are exceptionally well cared for and there always seemed to be a staff person nearby to answer any questions.





There were a couple of scheduled shows during the day. We went to an entertaining bird show - no English spoken but you didn't need it.





I think this place was government run and it certainly wasn't a rip off joint. For example, I went to a kiosk to buy 3 bottles of water and they were only Bt10 each. We ate some Thai food at one of the restaurants on the site and the price was very cheap. There are a couple of Night Safari encampments where you can spend the night in tents while listening to the sounds of the night animals. (TOQ, you can insert your comment here).





As interesting and beautiful as the zoo was, it was the two homo sapians I was with that made my day. They are such bubbly people who are quick to show their affection for each other. I am so lucky that in my life I have been able to spend some time with them.











___

No comments:

Post a Comment