Saturday, February 12, 2011

Snooker Boys

Snooker Boys

Is there a Thai boy who isn’t a master of the green velvet? It seems they carry a gene that draws them to the felt tipped sticks and the clicking orbs. Even the family-guy’s two year old Tom, the terrifying toddler of Tepprasit, is unnaturally attracted to the table. Any time Noi and I play, he has to be dragged screaming from the area by his mom.






I never had a misspent youth playing pool because I was taught that's trouble, "
with a capital "T"
And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!"…but I digress. When I first came to Thailand I was amazed that there were tables everywhere. From ornate hotel rooms to tin covered shanties with wood slat benches and a small fridge from which drinks may be purchased. I soon realized that these rustic dens were a great cruising place where, if you sat long enough, you were eventually invited to play and you became an instant friend when you tipped the boys who always won.






The boys seemed so attractive with that sharp glint in their eyes, their focused attention, their camaraderie and their zest for competition. But of course it was when they stretched and bent over the edge of the table to reach for a long shot, (because they were to proud to make use of the “farang hand”) that their pants became tightened across perfectly formed buns. It was then the real assets of the game became apparent to me. I was a slow learner and often required an arm wrapped around me to show me the intricacies of holding the cue. But over the years I did learn and now I can hold my own against any Thai boy. (TOQ’s comment to be inserted here)






There are several good places to play pool in the Sunee area. I really liked Come-In Bar with its small, Bt10 per game table, very reasonable drink prices and the handsome, friendly waiters. I became fond of them all and that led to me spending too much money there so I had to find a new place. You see, we don’t gamble. I put up the prize money for the winner of those playing. That can be anywhere from Bt20 and up. Corner Bar has a free table but the surface suffers from use. I switched to Crazy Pub with the comfortable, red seats, moderate drink prices and a great, small, Bt10 table.






My last night in Pattaya in 2007, I hosted a small party at Crazy Pub which drew many of my regular Thai pool players and several farang. All of the pictures you’re seeing come from that bar and, as you can see, a fun time can be had there. I want to thank the waiter Pan and the other staff there for helping me host the evening.











On the day I leave to return to Canada, I have a definite routine. I spend the night with my current favourite boy…this time it was Neung. In the morning the clan of Thai friends gathers and the boys grab up all the items I can't get in my suitcase.Then we wander down the soi to invade Two Guys for breakfast. After breakfast we move my suitcases to the apartment lobby then, while waiting for the taxi to arrive, we go across the street to the pool room of the Koneig Mansion Hotel. I have written about this private, air-conditioned, Bt20 per game place before. It’s a hit with my group.





This is the last chance for the boys to get money out of me through pool and this last time was no different at first. When I judged there would be only enough time for one more game before the taxi arrived, I decided to add some excitement. The two best players were Neung and Noi so I indicated they should have the honour of the last game. Then I threw a 1000 bhat on the table as a prize. Predictably both boys gasp. Nothing near this amount had been up for grabs before. Noi immediately fell to his knees, hand pressed together before the rooms Buddhist shrine. Neung just began to shake. The excitement and tension was all I could wish for.






When the game started, I took out a slip of paper, wrote on it, folded it and handed it to Sang for safe keeping. Never had the boys taken so long over each shot. The table was circled and circled again before each stroke of the cue. I estimated about Bt20 of chalk cube was used by each boy. The game proceeded well until Neung made a fatal mistake and the 8 ball dropped before its time.




The contrast between the two boys can be imagined. Neung was dejected and angry at himself. Noi…I have never seen him jumps so high for joy. When he came over to me to claim the prize, I pointed to Sang. She took out the note and read, “Bt500 to each Neung and Noi no matter who wins.” Noi was actually pleased with this result because, as he said,  he really hadn’t won but Neung had lost.



The taxi came, tearful goodbyes exchanged, and kisses abounded and then I left with such fond memories of my snooker boys that will last me until I return in 3 – 4 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment