Saturday, February 12, 2011

Road Trip - Part 3 - Night At The Oasis.

Night at the Oasis
At Noi's, when we returned from swimming, I went to the cement walled room with the large water container and "showered" Thai style splashing water on myself with a plastic bowl. After I joined the family and Noi offered me a whiskey/coke. Soon I was mellowing from a very busy day but then a crazy idea came to mind.
It was my suggestion that the family cooks have the night off so by 5:30 the clan had gathered and we all bundled into 2 pick-ups and headed to the local restaurant. The final tally was 6 kids and 6 adults. Three of the kids did not appeared to be attached to any of the adults but I didn’t question it knowing I would get lost in “from sister of mama’s daughter with number 2 husband cousin”. It took some convincing to get mama to leave her domain and venture out for a rare night of fun.


The first 2 place we went to were closed already but the third and what seemed the last was open. It was a very plain place with bamboo walls on 3 sides, a cement floor, uncomfortable chairs and a very loud karaoke machine. It was perfect for our group.




Coke for the kids, whisakey for the Thais, water for Doug and the food just kept on coming and the bad singing provided sanook for all. The real entertainment came when the kids over came their shyness of the crazy, dancing farang (Issan music goes straight to my feet) and they took over the microphones to sing quite sweetly. The bill….2000 baht tip included. Amazing Thailand.




Before bed, Mama, of few words, came to me and shyly thanked me saying she had not been out for a meal in 4 years. By 9:30pm I headed to my bed and was asleep by 10:00 with a big smile on my face. Maybe the TOQ and Stewart are right and real happiness is to be found in the real Thailand.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment