Monday, February 14, 2011

Dining With Thais

Senario 1 - One evening I was sitting at the Sunee Plaza Bar (Green Bar) when a young Thai aquaintence joined me for a drink. After about 10 minutes, I asked him if he was hungry thinking we could go and get a bite to eat. "Mai hue," he answered. I ordered another round of drinks. A couple of minutes later he got up and said he would come back then gave me that questioning look of 'Are you going to be here when I return?' I assured him I was not going anywhere soon.

He returned with a styro container of brown crumbly meat, flaked with red and green chillis, a small package of sticky rice and a handful of sprigs from some bushes and grasses. For someone who was not hungry, he ate quite a bit.






Senario 2 - With another Thai friend we were returning from an early movie at Big C and he announced he was hungry. He was able to effect that sorrowful, pained expression while rubbing his stomach. I had to admit I was hungry as well and suggested we go to the White Knight Buffet Restaurant (when it was a buffet). He readily agreed but added he had never been there before. I was thrilled because I love introducing young Thais to something new and I knew the food was excellent.

At the buffet, he went straight to the Thai dishes. I stopped him and strongly suggested he try the spicy ginger squash soup first. He put a small amount in a bowl and returned to the table. His face lit up when he tried it...he loved it...he finished it. I had to explain to him that at the buffet he could get as much as he wanted. I told him to go and get some more soup if he wanted. He returned with a meagur plate of Thai food.

I went and got a big plate of the sliced pork, special vegetables and their delicious salad items. At the table, he had finished his food so I put a slice of pork and other on his plate. He protested a little but began to eat. He said he enjoyed it and ate it all. I told him to go and get some more. "Mai hue," he answered. I went and got my seconds. He said he did not want dessert but I got enough samples for the both of us and he ate his share.
This happened with another boy I took there so I never invited another Thai to an all you can eat buffet.





Senario 3 - It was my last night in Pattaya and Thai friend I have known for 14 years suggest we go to the Lobster Pot on the walking street. Three of us went. The menu is huge and I was taking time to find the dishes I would like. My friend was speaking to the waiter. I asked his friend and him what they would like. He simply pointed to my menu and told me to choose. I selected a lobster platter, 2 other fish dishes and a specialty rice .

When the food started to arrive, I quickly realized there were a lot more dishes than I ordered. Then it dawned on me that my friend had ordered several dishes when talking to the waiter. Even after 14 years, communication can be a problem. Needless to say we ate well but a lot was returned to the kitchen.

One of the challenges is effective communication with Thai boys about eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment