Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bar Boy Soccer

Bar Boy Football (Soccer)

Sometimes I get the feeling that the boys who work in the bars have little life outside of the bars. When I ask  them what they did today, I often get the response, “I sleep, I watch TV” and nothing more. It could be it’s too much work making conversation with a farang, it could be they like to keep their private lives private, it could be they have little money to do otherwise.
Recently in talking with a barboy, I discovered that some of the boys play football almost everyday from 4:00 to 6:00 before going to work.

My discussions about this football with the barboy are difficult and he gets frustrated quite quickly but here is what I’ve discovered so far:
1. There are 10 to 15 teams that meet regularly.
2. The vacant lot field is big enough for 2 games to go on at the same time.
3. There is no schedule but they communicate by cellphone to arrange games.
4. Because it’s on a small field, they play a reduced version called, “Footsaw”. Small goals and only 4 or 5 players per side.
5. No points are accumulated for winning therefore no ultimate champion is crowned.
6. It seems to be a large group of interested boys looking for organization without diminishing the fun factor.
7. My barboy friend’s team is called “Gorilla” and it is made up mostly of boys from Jim Jimmy James.

Wembley Stadium, Pattaya


I was invited to come and watch one of their games but the first time I got lost and today the other team didn't show so the Gorillas had a practice. The barboy had informed me that the team's ball was kaput so I went to Big C and bought them a new one. I saw some tank tops on sale for 51 baht and purchased 10 of them. They were a big hit.


Also I supplied some refreshments that were much appreciated during breaks.



Because the playing area is quite small, agility and footwork was needed. I was amazed!  I also enjoyed the shedding of tops as the exercise produced glistening, sweaty bodies.


The reason for the determined, high level of play was revealed when, after a goal, the team scored upon was required to drop and give 5 push-ups.


It was a thoroughly enjoyable 2 hours spent with the boys and I'll go back to watch a real game. They mentioned they would like to have a coach so I got the impression they hope to move out of the sandlot. I don't think their ready for a charitable grant but they really appreciated the little I did for them. If you want to contact one of the boys for more information or to help them out, speak to Day or Neung (doormen at Jim Jimmy James)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment