Monday, February 14, 2011

Jame Sees The Ocean�Part 1



This is another report on my adventures with my sponsor child, Jame, and the commune. More than any other, this relationship fills my heart on each visit to Thailand.

JAME



The NGO group has now left Jame�s village as their work has resulted in the commune being self-sufficient with the projects created and a little assistance from the Thai government. Kudos for their efforts.




THE COMMUNE AT HOME





When I arrived in Pattaya last March for my 3 month stay, I was wondering when I should schedule a visit to the village. Songkran was in April and Jame�s birthday was in May. For some reason I was not excited about the hassles of renting a car, organizing the trip and dealing with the police toll blockades. My ever-wise, friend Noi suggested bringing Jame to Pattaya. He told me that Jame had never seen the ocean � in fact none of the commune had ever seen the ocean. I immediately loved the idea with the thought that there would be little to organize. Wrong�but that realization came after the fact.

Quickly Noi was on the phone to the commune with the idea that I would welcome 6 people to Pattaya. Apparently they were over themselves eager to come. I knew there were 4 children in the commune and suggested that 2 adults could accompany them.   Noi asked them when it could be arranged for them to come. �Tomorrow� was the response. They were serious but we negotiated for the following week.

 MY APARTMENT




I was beside myself with excitement. Just imaging; 6 people from a small village visiting the city by the sea for the first time. The opportunities were far too numerous and had to be selected carefully. I reserved a large room for them in my apartment building just down the hall from my room. It is situated on the edge of Sunee therefore any planning included avoiding as much of shocking parts of Pattaya as possible. I drew up a budget which made me realize that this could cost me more than I first thought and more than the usual visit to the village but I was determined to give them a holiday of memories that would last forever.

First there were several items to buy. Extra bedding, mats, pillows, soap, shampoo, stock the refrigerator, extra plates and bowls and on and on. I bought 4 bathing suits for the children hoping I got the sizes and style right. I also invited Noi�s family to join the activities. His son, Neung, is the same age as Jame and they have become very close friends from other visits to the village. Noi arranged a bank transfer to the commune�s bank account so they would have money for the trip to Pattaya.


 

They arrived outside my apartment at 4 in the afternoon. I really have to improve my communication skills. There was Jame and 7 adults from the commune. Eight instead of six. I was disappointed that the other kids didn�t get to come. However I was surprised and happy to see that Jame�s grandmother and her sister made the trip but I wondered how these two mobility-challenged elders would handle the planned adventures. In fact I needn�t have worried as the two seem to revert to their childhood and kept me amused the entire time.

Due to the fact that they lived 30 minutes away, Noi decided that his family would stay in the apartment as well. The room was large but not that large. In the end Noi, his son, Jame, and Amm would stay in my room. Who is Amm you might ask? Soon after the commune arrived the son of one of the commune members arrived accompanied by their son Amm. The man and wife lived and worked in Pattaya but their son stayed at home with the grandparents. Amm was one of the children I had invited.


IN THEIR ROOM


BOYS SLEEPING IN MY ROOM
 


If you�re not keeping track of how the numbers have deviated from the original 6, here�s a tally. Eight from the commune, 5 from Noi�s family (including Tom the Terrible Toddler of Tepprasit), 3 from Amm�s family and myself. Total�17. Budget shot!

The commune was exhausted from the eight hour trip from Chum Phae in the back of a neighbour�s pick-up. Noi�s wife went to the local market for Issan food while I introduced them to the unlimited choices of cable TV, the air conditioner, the kitchen appliances, a farang toilet and the hot water shower. Immediately the shower was running continuously for the next hour. I gave out some small gifts I had including the bathing suits for the children. Because the young girl had not come, I jokingly handed Jame the bathing suit meant for her. Rather than rejecting it, he broke into a huge, mischievous grin I have come to love and he began to pull on the suit. All of the built up nervousness and stress of this new and overwhelming situation was shattered in gales of laughter. Young Jame brought us together again.

 


Then Gun arrived with a ton of food and that, with the variety of refreshments I had stocked the refrigerator, provided the incredients for a great party punctuated with happy conversation. Quickly I knew the budget would be relegated to insignificance.

Bedtime came early as would morning rising because they had not yet seen the ocean.

MORE TO COME IN PART 2

No comments:

Post a Comment