Monday, February 14, 2011

Jame Sees the Ocean Part 2

Jame Sees The Ocean   Part 2

An excited bunch of boys woke me up at 6:00am the next morning. The commune�s apartment had been awake since 5. I accompanied two of the ladies a few blocks to the market where they bought food for the morning meal. They were almost overwhelmed with the variety of food on sale. Quickly it became apparent that the readily available seafood was going to be a staple for the next few days. Breakfast came to less than 500 baht. One of the boys tried my cooked oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon and liked it.





Once the rooms were cleaned and showers finished all thought turned to the day�s trip to Jomtien and the ocean. Noi commandeered a songtaow for the 10 minute trip to the beach. We didn�t go to Dongtan Beach rather further down to the Thai areas. The tide was going out so the beach was huge. Big smiles and widened eyes dominated the adult�s facial expressions but all we saw of the kids was their backsides rushing across the sand to the water.


 


I had forewarned the strolling vender who sold fresh cooked shrimp, prawns and oysters that our group would be interested in his seafood. Several platters were spread out on the tables. Noi distributed 100 baht to each person so they could purchase other items from the venders.


 



A banana boat ride was a must even though it was scary at first. We were there until nearly sundown and no one seemed eager to leave.



 



The next day we decided to take the ferry to Koh Larn. The night before, to spare my budget, I mentioned to Noi that we should take as much food and drink with us as it is quite expensive there. I packed my lunch in my bag but the instructions did not make it to the commune. Certainly Noi made sure the whisky and soda were there but little else. Discovering this failure of communication, I realized I had not brought enough money with me. I gave what money I had to Noi and left it for him to plan a strategy.

The beauty of the place, the beach and the water made any problem seen small. Sea life mesmerized everyone but especially the boys.  A whole new world to be discovered.


 



One of the most rewarding moments for me was when grandmother and sister rose from their loungers, held hands and, fully clothed, walked slowly into the sea where they remain for almost 2 hours.


 


Clever Noi quietly came up with a wonderful solution to the money problem. He found a small store, bought some fishing line, barbequed meat and hooks and, using short bamboo shoots, rigged up 6 crude fishing lines. He led a contingent into the sea near some rocks and showed the boys how to jig their lines. Excitement echoed across the water and the first of many small fish were caught within a minute.  After an hour there were enough fish in the plastic bag to feed the multitude. Using a couple of knifes I had in my backpack the ladies prepared the fish while the grandmothers scowered the shore line for savoury leaves to stuff in the fish. A fire was built among some rocks and the fish were cooked on sticks. Sticky rice and some sauce was all that we needed to complete the meal Again the resourcefulness of the Thai people amazed me. The �feast� was delicious.


 



It was a very contented group that rode the ferry home.


 


That night the boys experienced another first. At a nearby restaurant, I showed the boys how to play pool. The men had snuck out with Noi to a beer bar and the ladies were engrossed in the Thai soap operas on TV. I never thought about it at the time but no one seem to bat an eye at this old farang out in Pattaya with 3 young boys.


 



Other days found us at Pattaya Park and Nakula WongAmart Beach. One evening some of us went bowling and on another we went to Big C central to attend a Thai movie�all things not available in their village.  Riding up and down the escalators seemed better than any amusement park ride. The Friday Market on Soi Buakow was a big hit. Again Noi dole out my money to each person to buy a few things for themselves.


 



All the time Jame accepted his role as entertainer. His mind works in marvellously creative ways. I am so grateful to be able to be part of his development.


 




On the fifth day a mix up in transportation back to Chum Phae cause a one day extension which didn�t bother anyone much. Just more time to spend in the ocean. It�s hard to say who got the most out of this adventure but I know my heart swells every time I think of it. I can�t wait for the next time I will get to enjoy the company of Jame and the commune.



No comments:

Post a Comment