Saturday, February 12, 2011

Boy, Did I Catch Shit Last Night (March 2008)

A large group of Farangs and many Thai boys met at Stewart's then headed off to a great Issan Concert up 3rd road. I joined them with Neung, Sang, the family guy and Goh from the beach. Everyone was in a party mood and the beer and food flowed freely. As the music and dancing was reaching manic mode, I realized I had not brought along enough money.

I quietly, unobtrusively - I thought - approached Stewart and asked to borrow Bt500 which he gave me.

Later while grabbing a bite to eat at an inexpensive Thai restaurant, I was accosted by Neung, Sang and Noi. "Did you get money from Stwart?" "Did you not think to ask us?" "Are we not your friends?" "Do you think we can't help you sometime?" And on and on it went in a very serious tone. They were truly offended.

I was thunderstruck. Then emotions brought a few tears to my eyes. It was true I never thought of asking them. I was locked in a mindspace where I see these boys as always without money.

I realize that if they truly ARE my friends then I should be more sensitive in the way I perceive and relate to them. Lesson learned in a very dramatic moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment