Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Road Trip in Several Parts (Introduction


For 5 days I took off to Non Thai and Phu Pha Man in a pick-up rented from the Two Guys Guest House to visit my sponsor child and his family with the help of my friend Noi, the family guy. It would be an understatement to say it was a fabulous trip with so many highlights that one report wouldn’t suffice. I just hope I can find the words to do justice to the joy I experienced with wonderful people in a beautiful piece of Thailand.


WARNING: This report contains no info about gogo bars, salacious trysts or naked guys!

List of Characters
Noi, the family guy, who I have known for almost 20 years. He was a great interpreter, facilitator and fact finder. After some serious negotiation, we were able to convince his wife that this was a “guys road trip” and so she and the terrible baby Tom were left behind at the family home in Non Thai near Korat.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/siamboy/MLNA0016-1.jpg[/img]

Neung is the 10 year old son of Noi’s wife but not Noi’s biological son. He had never been on a holiday out of his local area in his life. Needless to say he was eager, excited but afraid at the same time.

Jame is the nick-name of my sponsor child. For the past 5 years I have been donating money to improve the future of his impoverished village.



Lai is Jame’s grandmother and only close family member he has.



The Family is what I call the 12 or so people who benefited directly from sponsorship. They were the most destitute and were grouped together around a communal building and lived in concrete block houses built by the sponsoring organization.


The Mighty Beast is the powerful deisel pick-up I rented from Cho and Stewart for 800 baht a day. We discovered it could hold inside 1 farang, 2 boys, and 3 Thais. The bed of the truck could hold 8 Thais with cooler, beer and pop, ice chest, picnic supplies and several other item this farang was unable to recognize.




I hope you enjoy my road trip to north/central Thailand.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment