Saturday, February 12, 2011

Road Trip 4 First Day at Jame’s

Noi, Neung and I arrived at Jame’s place at about 10:30am after a 3 hour journey from Non Thai. As I had no means of communication with Jame or the commune, it was a big surprise when we pulled up in the Beast. Word spread fast and by the time we were out of the truck the members of the commune had gathered and greeted us warmly. All but Jame who was off doing something. I was a little disappointed that he wasn’t there however it gave Noi and I a chance to say hello to everyone and introduce Neung without all the focus being on Jame. We had brought barbeque chicken and fish, sticky rice, pop snacks, beer and ice. The men opened the bar immediately but I was anxious to see Jame.
One of the ladies saw me looking down the road and said she knew where he was and could take me to him in the truck. In a flash we were trundling down the soi but quickly I saw a figure walking towards us. I came to a stop beside Jame but he couldn’t see in due to the tinted glass. When the window went down, surprise registered on his face along with a smile that wouldn’t stop. He took 3 quick steps and literally dove through the window. His welcome was all I could have wished for. When I told him we were there for 3 days, not just 3 hours as in other visits, the smile grew even bigger.


Back at the commune I presented him with a school back pack that was filled in every pocket with small gifts for him and Lai, his grandmother. One of the pockets was filled with packets of vegetable seeds because he had mentioned he wanted to become a farmer and I wanted to start him on that path. The seeds were accompanied by a shovel and small cultivator.


Also in the bag was a can of lubricating oil, a cressant wrench and a special lock. Being Thai he simply put these aside without comment as he did with most of the item in the bag. I’m sure he would have preferred to open the bag in private but this farang would have none of that. When the bag was empty, I collected these and asked him what these were for. He simply stared at me. Then I slapped my forehead and exclaimed that I had forgotten one more gift in the back of the truck. Together were ripped off the cover to expose and new BigC bicycle. I handed it down to him, he set the kick stand, looked at it then walked away. Typically Thai. A few moments later, when he wasn’t the focus of attention he was up and down the road calling on others to come and see his bike.




During all this excitement Neung and Jame were introduced and waied each other at the prompting of adults. Noi gave each of them a kite he had bought at a kwiteow stop we had on the way. They seemed to ignore each other and I was a little worried they might not get on but Noi sat down and helped them assemble their kites. Soon the two of them were running up and down the soi together with the kites high behind them and a silly farang trying to keep up with them. From then on they were inseparable. Brothers from a past life.
Drinks were flowing, neighbours were gathering and the barbeque was served. Most of the children and a couple of the older ladies were more interested in the sweets and cookies. Noi was in his element as my facilitator. He knew my goals for the next 3 days and was busy planning a schedule with the grandmother and the lead man from the blacksmith shop next door. The person seemed to have the position of head of the commune to whom the others deferred.


After lunch we bundled into the beast and headed of to find a bungalow resort for Noi, Neung and myself to stay in and to go to the market to by food supplies for the commune. On the third try we found a lovely resort and a bungalow with TV, air and hot water for 300 baht per night. The toilet was squat but I adapted.



The market was close by and I gave Noi 3000 baht to spend. The first purchase was 2 huge bags of rice at 800 baht each. After two more stalls he came to me for 2000 baht more which I had planned for. I spent the time with the boys buying shoes, swimsuits, commando pants, t-shirts and eatable treats. I refused the B-B guns but gave in on a couple of other toys. The next day, much to my displeasure, the boys convinced Noi to buy them the guns which, I was happy to see, they used to torment him the most.
On the way back to Jame’s we came upon a parade and in the evening we went to the bat cave but these will be separate reports.
We were in our bungalow by 9:00 pm and most contentedly asleep by 9:30 with anticipation for another great day to follow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment